Visa and Customs

It is strongly recommended that journalists planning to travel to the United States start the visa application process as soon as possible regardless of the Summit accreditation process. Visa approval does not guarantee Summit accreditation, nor vice-versa.

Media traveling on ā€œIā€ visas, who are NOT traveling on the same plane as the Head of delegation/Head of State:

All media covering the Summit who are not U.S. citizens, or who do not currently hold a work permit, are required to have an ā€œIā€ visa. The Visa Waiver Program does not cover individuals coming to the U.S. to work, even for a short period of time. Additionally, the Visa Waiver Program is not applicable to persons traveling on diplomatic passports. Visit for more information.

Media Equipment: Media bringing in equipment (from outside the U.S.) to the Summit should obtain a Temporary Importation Bond (TIB) or ATA Carnet.

A TIB allows members of the media to transport equipment (tools of the trade) without incurring duty. For those unfamiliar with the process, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) recommends hiring a broker to facilitate the process. A list of brokers may be found on the DHS website. Additional information may be found at:

An ATA Carnet is an international customs document that allows for the temporary importation of professional equipment, and is accepted for goods traveling between the U.S. and other designated countries. The International Chamber of Commerce maintains a list of Carnet-issuing organizations in each participating country. For a list of participating countries and more information on how to obtain an ATA Carnet, please visit:

Additional information regarding ATA carnets may be found at:

Media traveling on ā€œIā€ visas as part of an official delegation on the same plane as the Head of Delegation/Head of State:

Media must request a Department of Homeland Security US-VISIT exemption to avoid the TIB/Carnet requirement. Please contact your Embassy in Washington, D.C., which will make a formal request to the U.S. Department of State.